Truthfully, this summer is not quite as exciting as I was hoping. Nonetheless, I decided fill my time by setting and achieving a list of goals. Here they are and how I'm trying to achieve them before school starts back up:
1. Gain awesome professional references and resume material. Getting an internship was tricky. I ended up emailing two places seeing if they wanted an intern and whallaah! I’m a part-time intern at a talent agency and part-time intern with a children's theatre company, Pollyanna Theatre Company. At the talent agency, I scout for models, help build a website, and do odd jobs. At Pollyanna, I’m helping sell tickets for their upcoming summer children’s shows and I will work front of house for our two summer productions at the Long Center!
2. Get healthier. This is a toughie, because I've been eating so much free catering food. (Oops!) My friends and I joined LA Fitness and I’ve committed to going to a "Body Sculpting" class on Mondays and "Boot Camp" on Fridays. The Boot Camp class kicked my booty! I couldn't move the next day. The progress of getting fit is slow. I’d be super happy if I can lose 10 lbs by my birthday. I need to start running again and cutting down on catering food and eating out. Why must I be surrounded by so much yummy food?
3. Take acting classes. I’m training with the wonderful Paula Russell on Monday nights and she’s a GODDESS! Her focus is on meditating and relaxing and not doing anything unrealistic or forced during scenes. And being very s t i l l .
4. Get new laptop and travel. Where’s all my money? So sad, true story- I haven’t really had a saving account in almost a year, because normal life expenses and being a student blah blah blah. I tend to spend all my catering paychecks by the time the next paycheck comes. Paycheck to paycheck is my life, which is kind of okay since everyone else my age is probably living the same way (or so I tell myself to feel better). The real issue is that I have no money to buy a laptop. My current one is close to 10 years old, overheats, and is super slow. My hope is that I can cater enough to buy a laptop and also go on a few trips. I would love to finally see the Grand Canyon or go to California. If anyone knows of a way to make money with very limited schedule that isn’t sketchy, let me know. I can babysit on date nights!
5. Act and read plays! I have an exciting audition tomorrow and also I checked out over 10 modern plays from the library to read this summer.
Well, these are my goals/plans for the summer. Working two internships and catering is definitely putting a toll on me, but I can't complain too much because I spent the entire weekend tanning or in a hot tub. My internships are chill about me working from home, and I also have Fridays off to do something fun! Plus in month, I'll be sitting on the beach with a mojito.